It is caused by a drop in sex hormones called estrogen and progesterone that are no more produced by the ovaries. The first symptom of menopause is usually an irregularity in periods – you may notice a change in the amount of menstrual blood, but more often than that, the frequency of your periods will change. Periods may become more frequent or rarer, until they stop completely.
This phase of menopause is called perimenopause and the symptoms can last even after the periods stop – most women experience the characteristic symptoms of menopause for years after the last period. Take a look at the list of symptoms that can occur during menopause:
Common menopause symptoms
- Vaginal dryness, itching, burning and pain – this condition can seriously affect the quality of life causing friction and pain when exercising, walking or having sex. A vaginal moisturizer can offer long-term relief and allowing you to enjoy your favorite activities without an uncomfortable and painful feeling down there. You can also apply a lubricant before having an intercourse, but keep in mind that unlike the moisturizer, a lubricant will only provide you with a short-term relief.
- Reduced libido – it often occurs due to vaginal dryness and it can also be improved by using a vaginal moisturizer or a lubricant
- Hot flashes – a sudden feeling of heat that spreads over the face, neck and chest, creating the redness of the skin
- Night sweats – in essence, these are hot flushes that happen overnight
- Sleeping difficulties – waking up several times during the night, sleeping restlessly or insomnia
- Mood swings
- Irritability, anxiety and depression
- Difficulty concentrating and memory lapses
- Heart palpitation
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Reduction in muscle mass
- Loss of good posture and a higher risk of breaking a bone due to osteoporosis
- Urinary tract infections
- Hair loss and brittle nails
- Weight gain
- Urinary incontinence
Talk to your doctor about finding the appropriate way to manage your symptoms – there are many options that can help you relieve the symptoms and enjoy your life to the fullest.